Office Location: San Francisco
Phone: +1 415 981 2854
James Lytton-Hitchins is a principal in Heidrick & Struggles’ San Francisco office and a member of the Heidrick Consulting Practice. He has 20 years of professional experience as a practical leadership advisor, executive coach, and facilitator elevating business performance in complex organizations, driving significant growth and change. James works with top teams to align on the critical few priorities, develop winning people capabilities, cultivate the next generation of leaders, and generate high performing cultures.
James has led major leadership, succession, and culture shaping programs in agribusiness, banking, chemicals, energy, healthcare, oil & gas, telecommunications and government in the United States, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia. He has led many high-profile projects, including partnering with Boards, CEOs, and top executive teams:
- of a leading MNC Chemicals JV to deliver a coaching and succession program to accelerate the effectiveness and readiness of the 2025 leadership pipeline;
- of one of the world's largest manufacturing companies to design and deliver a top team effectiveness program, and provide 1:1 coaching for top 20 executives;
- of a leading bank to refresh its mission, vision, and values; deliver a top team effectiveness journey, coach the top 20 executives, and build a customer-centric culture;
- of a leading downstream Oil & Gas company to improve top team performance and leadership effectiveness;
- in the detailed design, staffing and go-live of two world-class corporate functions as part of an enterprise-wide business transformation of a global petrochemical leader;
- to deliver CIO succession for Australia’s largest integrated energy company;
- to establish new leadership standards, assess top 300 leaders, and identify critical talent as part of a leadership renewal program for a large health organization undergoing sector transformation;
- to deliver a shift in the operational performance and leadership behaviours of the top 50 leaders in a national telecom provider through the delivery of an integrated leadership development and enterprise-wide culture development program; and
- of India’s largest privately held conglomerate to design its corporate university blueprint and the operating model for its enterprise learning function.
Prior to joining Heidrick & Struggles, James led the leadership & culture practice for PwC Middle East. Previously, he was as an engagement manager and member of the global Katzenbach Center for Culture and Organizational Performance with Booz & Company, an internal executive coach and team facilitator for a leading international bank, and HR director for Australia’s largest integrated energy company.
James earned a PhD and bachelor of science from the University of Sydney and is a certified executive coach.